variant is published online twice a year and invites submissions of poetry, flash fiction, short stories, hybrid literature, creative non-fiction (essays, memoirs or cultural commentary), photos and original art that can be reproduced in digital and print format (if needed).
• variant publishes only original, previously unpublished work. Self-published work and work that appears online are considered published.
• variant does not consider simultaneous submissions, but we generally respond within six weeks.
• Do not submit more than once per genre, per submission period; variant will not consider additional submissions, unless requested.
Poetry: All styles; max 40 lines. Submit up to 3 poems in one document following identification and pagination guidelines below.
Prose: Max length 3500 words (1000 words for flash fiction). Submit no more than one work following identification and pagination guidelines below.
• For each submission, include author name, address, phone, email, title of submission and word count at the top of the first page. For works of more than one page, include author last name, title of the work and page number in upper right corner.
• For each submission include a short cover letter with your name and contact information; the genre of your submission and submission tittle; and a short bio (40-50 words).
• All work should be typed using standard fonts and submitted as Word or RTF documents.
Photographs and Artwork: Each image file must be saved with first initial and last name of the artist and name of the work separated by a dash. i.e. jsmith-myphoto.jpeg.
• High resolution (300 dpi) jpegs only. RGB for all color and grayscale images.
• Images must be horizontal due to formatting restrictions.
• Please make sure that images are no larger than 2400 pixels wide.
• Submit up to five works at one time.
• For each submission include short cover letter with your name and contact information; the media of your submission and submission tittle; and a short bio (40-50 words).
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: September 1, 2018 for fall 2018 issue.
Please e-mail all submissions to email@example.com.